Thursday, March 31, 2016

Classroom Comfort Rant


Classroom chairs in this school are too hard and unforgiving. I’m a big dude, so I need something a little more comfortable than flat plastic to sit on. Where is the cushion to these chair/desk combos? As one student pointed out the other day, it seems like A&T has dropped the ball on student comfort in the form of a clock tower. College cost a lot of money and I would expect our chairs to bigger and more comfortable than they are now. If the school can afford a big-ass clock tower, why can’t they help out big-ass students by providing comfy places to sit? I’ve only had one class where they let you sit in office chairs and it was awesome. I could actually sit and learn without focusing on the uncomfortableness of the chairs. I’m only asking for a half inch of some kind of support. Sitting on plastic for hours isn’t a fun time. Imagine you were at a movie theater and you paid 15 bucks to see “Insert awesome movie title here”. Now, as you walk into the theater, you see rows of desk/chair combos like the ones in our English class. Sounds like a horror movie, doesn’t it? Must be very satisfying to spend 15 bucks on a movie only to have to sit through the whole thing in a terrible chair. That’s how I feel about our classes. We/grants/loans/scholarships pay for our schooling, so why would we want to be learning in a place that supplies only the finest of wooden planks for us to sit on? Don’t get me wrong, I like learning here, it’s just that it could be a whole lot better if they had nicer places to park our behinds as we learn. What do you guys think? Does this school need to supply us with read-end support?




EDIT: oops, the clock tower didn't come from tuition money. (Thanks, Kayla Joseph for making this clear on a different blog post.) Insert whatever you think money was wasted on in place of the clock tower.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Tom. I have a hard time focusing if I am in uncomfortable setting, i.e. outdated seats. Another problem is the limited desk space. I feel that the desk tops for students at our age should be able to hold more than just a notebook.

    ReplyDelete