Thursday, March 31, 2016

Do People Still Talk on the Phone?

Being a bit of a traditionalist, I prefer to talk on the phone. To call and share my thoughts vocally. To be able to hear the sound of my friend or family members voice. To hear their mood. Talking on the phone takes so much guess work out of the equation compared to texting. Don't get me wrong, I do text, but I try to refrain from having any serious conversations via the keyboard. Now people use emojis to convey emotion. How are men and women supposed to learn about the exasperated sigh, or sorrow tone or even genuine laughter?  I grew up during a time when guys had to work up the courage to call a girls house phone and HOPE she answered and not her mother or father. Or if a parent did answer, the young man in pursuit of my conversation, had to politely and respectfully request permission to speak with me, and it had better not been past 9:00! Nowadays,  a guy gets a girls number and all he has to do is send a text....WHERE IS THE COURAGE? WHERE ARE HIS BALLS? Probably sitting under his iPhone, waiting for the girl to reply back, "hey". I miss those days. That truly separated the timid and the weak from the gutsy. Or even the romantic back and forth, "You hang up!" "No, YOU hang up first" exchanges. DO PEOPLE STILL TALK ON THE PHONE?

5 comments:

  1. I completely understand! I hate texting someone I'm interested in and having to wait 30 or more minutes for a reply. I want to know how a person sounds when they say something and how long it takes them to think of the right thing to say. I like the silence from the other line when we are all talked out. I absolutely despise the eyes emoji that guys use now to start a conversation. I want to throw my phone across the room when I get that text. I have taken to calling my friends instead of texting when I can, however I wish I had the courage to just call up my crush. *Sigh* maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100% but sometimes texting is much more convenient. I often find myself having a mouthful to say while texting but as soon as I am on the phone, it seems like I've gone mute! I too, miss the days when I could sit on the phone and have a real conversation and actually not get bored. Technology has taken over the world though so you really can't fault anyone. By the way, no matter what excuse a guy gives you, if he is interested like he says he is, he will call you and have a conversation with you for as long as you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big fan of texting even though it have its cons. Its so easier and faster to send a text instead of calling. I am trying to start calling people more. I miss it. Technology is crippling us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer to talk on the phone in order to hear other person's voice and to avoid miscommunication. Also, it keeps a conversation private, texting allows a person to twist a conversation in a way that favors them. A person can easily delete the texts that they have in a conversation and make it seem like they are being harassed by the individual that they are in communication with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer to talk on the phone, but I do text at times. I think texting should be used if a person isn't able to talk on the phone or if they have a quick question about something that isn't urgent. One of my pet peeves is if someone is trying to hold a long conversation through text when both of us are able to talk on the phone

    ReplyDelete