Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Unnessary attractions? Wasted money? Does our campus focus on the wrong things?

Finding ways to pay your tuition is already a tough task to accomplish. The idea of tuition being potentially raised is an idea that I do not agree with. Our campus is spending money we get donated and things I feel like are unnecessary.  I feel like our campus spends the money we do get back on unnecessary things i.e. the clock tower instead of using it for a good purpose. Using 2 million dollars to build a clock tower instead of splitting that up between the different departments we have on campus and using it towards scholarships just baffles me.  That money should be going back to the students as far as scholarships or grants. Why not use the money the alumni's donate for students who are struggling or need help trying to pay for the amount of college tuition we have to pay now? Am I the only one that feels like this?   

4 comments:

  1. No you're not because I feel like they could have used that money for South side and made it more appealing, they just waste money on crazy things. They also could have used that money to fix some of the old classroom buildings up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No you're not because I feel like they could have used that money for South side and made it more appealing, they just waste money on crazy things. They also could have used that money to fix some of the old classroom buildings up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand why you feel that way, but the clock tower was not something that the school set money aside for. An alumni, Deese, gave the money and specifically said he wanted the money to go towards building clock tower. Now the grant that was just voted for is something that baffles me. We are getting a 2 million grant and they are using that money specifically for the engineering program which I feel is unfair considering that department already gets most of the money. However, that's part of the reason when I graduate and have money to give back, I will and to the departments that I feel are underfunded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand how you feel, however the clock tower idea has been something the school has been planning to build for a while. Also the clock tower does play a pivotal role on campus seeing as it could possibly attracted other students to come here which accumulates money. Also other alumni may want to participate in another big project similar to the clock tower in the future which again accumulates money.

    ReplyDelete