Saturday, April 30, 2016

Why Do People Judge?

While in college, your main focus is to make good grades and more importantly create a good connections with people. With that being said, to complete that task, you must meet new people and leave a good impression. Despite this, in my latest encounters with newly met students and professors, I notice these people judge me before we even get into a deeper conversation. It's not bad judging, it's just the fact that why am I label as this or that  just because of the small details you notice  before we even speak. For example a really nice professor I met a few weeks notice the earrings, watch, and small necklace I had on as soon as I got into the room. Then later in the conversation he tried  to give me a lesson on dressing properly. It was interesting to me but I just wonder why do people do it on first encounters. Is it to make you feel better seeing as you can possibly place that person in a specific category or is it just a natural instinct? Let me know what you think about judging or past experiences with the issue.

5 comments:

  1. I do believe that assuming something about a person based off of their looks and how they carry themselves is natural. I have been on both ends of the judging situation numerous times, but I don't let others assumptions about me bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is just natural to judge somebody before actually getting to know them. I also feel that there is nothing wrong with judging somebody before you meet them as long as they are not treated differently based off of there appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's human to see something that looks like shit and call it shit. Everyone has different tastes, shit might look like diamonds to someone else and vice-versa. If something important comes up, it's best to dress in neutral clothes when making a first impression. Dress too fancy and someone will call you a try hard. Dress too lax and someone will call you a slob. Maybe the try hard approach is the way to go since it shows dedication.

      Delete
    2. If only I could edit a reply instead of having to delete the whole thing and post a new one.

      Delete