Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Jane McGonigal: The game that can give you ten extra years of life.

The speaker is Jane McGonigal and I just love her. She's got a PhD Performance Studies and is a game developer.  She has long been a proponent of gaming and has been trying to convince everyone for years that the world would be a better place if everyone would just play more games. She put her money where her mouth is a few years ago when she suffered a severe concussion and almost died and made up a game to help her heal.

This video is from a TED Talk lecture where she challenges the audience to earn 7 1/2 extra minutes on their lives by playing a game with her. The video is 18 minutes, but well worth the watch.

PROMPT:
How do you feel about what Jane McGonigal has to say about games helping people to live better lives?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really think that the amount of make up she wears makes her less credible. She, herself, has a PhD and has conducted extensive research on the benefits of gaming as a tool for conflict resolution and problem solving. You are right though, citing sources is a good thing, but a little harder to do when you are making a speech.

      Delete
    2. I'll try and make my comments less sarcastic. It's great that she and many others found strength in videogames. I'm just jealous they don't have the same effect on me.

      Delete
    3. You didn't have to delete the comment. Gaming isn't for everyone and certainly the rest of us mere mortals could only dream of doing something that fun for a living. I must confess...I am jealous about that too. I think about the days, back when Apple was on the rise and all those employees got to work in those amazing, creative work environments and wish I had known more about computers back during those days.

      Delete
  2. I do not understand how video games can save your life by 7 1/2 minutes. If, I am on my deathbed I honestly will not be thinking about, "I wish I would have played more video games." But, I do understand what she is saying because when I was a kid I did used to create players on video games as me. So, as I started to grow up I wanted to be like this and that. So, now I am understanding what she is saying about how video games are important to people. I would not get to the point where I would say "I am going to kill myself." or anything in that nature though over a video game.

    ReplyDelete